January 23, 2013

2013 Inauguration

Well, after Monday's post went live, I was prepared spend the morning at home, watching the Inauguration festivities from the comfort of my couch. It was going to be quiet, warm, and simple.

Then I changed my mind.

I don't know if it was a burst of craziness, patriotism, or general enthusiasm, but the hubs and I threw ourselves together and raced out the door around 10:30 that morning, determined to make it to the National Mall by 11:30. Inauguration or bust!

It ended up being a totally different experience this time around. The metro pulled up just as we got down to the platform, and the train was nearly empty-- most of the Inauguration attendees had already packed in hours before. We walked from Farragut North, excitedly shuffling down 18th Street. The crowds were smaller, but everyone was still excited.

We ended up standing in the same general area that I had been in in 2009. The Mall wasn't as crowded so we were able to walk around to get the best view of the jumbotron. People cheered and took photos around us, and everyone just looked around them in awe, as if we were all a little unable to believe we were really there.

It wasn't perfect, of course. Our jumobtron ended up having technical difficulties, and it was impossible to hear most of the Inauguration service, which made people pretty cranky. That was was disappointing, as we obviously wanted to actually hear and see what was going on. Even if that ended up being a letdown, I was glad that we went down there. It was an important moment in our nation's history, and it was fun to spend the morning doing something like that.

I may have done some experimenting with a permanent marker... :)

When we got home, we snuggled on the couch as originally planned, ate cupcakes, and watched The West Wing until parade coverage started. This Inauguration might not have had the tears and manic excitement of President Obama's first inauguration, but it was exciting nonetheless, and I'm glad that we decided to join in on the fun.