May 15, 2013

Just Another Day

Day 15: A day in the life

I feel the need to offer a disclaimer to this post. This week has not at all represented what a typical week is for me. My clinical placement ended last week, leaving most of my days this week pretty open. Normally, I would go in for my clinical placement in the morning and afternoon, then head across town for my job, where I work until 9 or 9:30 in the evening. While not every day is a 12- or 13-hour workday, having it at all is exhausting, especially when sometimes I don't get home until nearly 11 pm (darn you, evening metro schedule!). I wanted to include this information because the day I wrote about in this post might give the impression that I sleep late every day and prance around the DC area with my camera, followed by lovefests with my cat. That would be fun, but it's just not what happens. However, since I couldn't have taken photos at my placement or at my job, I thought it would be more fun to share one of these atypical, looser days. You follow? Okay, cool. Rant over.

The hubs and I leave for our honeymoon on Sunday, so I'm trying to run around and do all of the things I forgot to do weeks ago. In some ways, I suppose my changing schedule gives an idea of what it's like to be a grad student. Typically, no day looks like the day before, and without any classes or placement to go to, I can be pretty flexible.

Thus, here is just one day in the life of the Quixotic Chica:

First on the agenda: Waking up with this ball of fluff at the foot of the bed!

Next up, coffee and my favorite magazine, Real Simple.

After padding around the house for a while, I headed off to the metro to go downtown for an errand. Sometimes I take the bus to my metro station, but since it was nice out I opted to walk instead. 

Shopping! I was on a mission to find a maxi dress that I could bring along on my honeymoon, and I thought Forever 21 might be the place since I didn't want to spend much money. That place can be overwhelming and awful, but early-ish on a weekday, it's bearable. No luck on the dress front, though I did get a new pair of leggings and basic black t-shirt.

I fruitlessly searched for a food truck near Metro Center since I was getting hungry for lunch. I love DC food trucks, and it's been a while since I've gotten a meal from one of them. Sadly, for some reason none were to be found, so I hopped back on the metro and started the walk back home. 

After pausing to enjoy the lovely flowers planted around a huge townhouse development, I headed to the library and picked up some reading material for our honeymoon. I usually try to bring long books with me on vacation so that I'm not stuck toting around several short books that I finish on the airplane. Catch-22 is the hubs' favorite book, so I'm excited to finally read it. How is it that it's taken me this long?

Back at home, it was time to settle down for some lunch! The sun was warming up the air, and I knew I had to eat al fresco. Although we don't have any outdoor dining furniture, we do have a couple of small chairs (well, one is a stool) and a side table for the back porch so that the hubs and I can hang out when the weather's nice. On the menu: lemonade, blueberries, a veggie burger... and a piece of leftover tres leches cake from the BBQ we had on Sunday. YUM. 

I still had more errands to run, but I decided to take an intermission to catch up on some blog reading and do some editing. 

After chatting with the hubs, who was at school working on a paper, I headed up to Takoma Park. I had passport photos taken earlier this week, but in them I look like someone who has been abusing meth (and I really don't think this is an accurate depiction-- I know I'm tired sometimes, but come on!), so I made the hubs take new ones in front of a white wall. The plan was to go to CVS and print them out, but that didn't quite work out. When I got there, I realized that while I had the memory card the photos used to be on, I didn't have the USB stick that they were currently on. Rats! After some frantic phone calls, the hubs ended up uploading them to the CVS photo website (who knew there was such a thing?), but I wasn't able to get them the same day. Wah wah.

Since I couldn't let the trip be a total disaster, I went to Ace Hardware to have copies of our house keys made for the friend who will be staying at our place while we're away. This place always has the prettiest flowers outside!

Even though it was getting a bit chilly on the walk back home, I wanted to take advantage of the daylight and get rid of the some of the dying weeds in our backyard. I wasn't out there long, but it felt food to rip up the dead clover. Muahaha. Now we just need to level things out and put down some grass seed....

Later on, I set up shop at the kitchen table and worked on a blog post or two before making some dinner. Spaghetti and veggie meatballs (I know that sounds gross to some, but I love them!) hit the spot. Unfortunately, the hubs was staying at the library late to make more progress on his paper, so I had to dine solo. Well, the cat joined me, but she was more interested in attacking the staircase than being a good conversationalist. What a weirdo.

I started to settle in for the evening and set up camp on the living room couch with a big glass of water, smaller glass of wine, and Gilmore Girls. There were still so many things to do, but that's for another day. The hubs would be home in a couple of hours, and I could enjoy the adventures of Loralai and Rory in peace. 

All in all, it was a pretty great day. :)

post signature
Twitter  *  Bloglovin  *  Google+  *  Pinterest  *  Tumblr